It would not be a surprise to see Digvijay Singh walking on just one foot because his other foot is always in his mouth.
He is always making very provocative, divisive and very irresponsible statements which even his own Congress party, becomes very uncomfortable with and is forced to dissociate with them. He has been bestowed with a lot of adjectives ranging from insane, duffer, liar etc. by his fellow politicians.
He started his political career at a young age in Madhya Pradesh and has held several important positions including the post of the Chief Minister of the state for two five year terms. In 2001, during an income tax raid on a liquor manufacturer in Bhopal, income tax authorities seized a diary maintained by the distillery's owners. They found the names of several officials and politicians of the state and their bribe money written against their names in the diary which reportedly also listed Digvijay Singh's name with a payment of 100 million rupees against it. Digvijay Singh was the chief minister at the time.
In 2004, the Madhya Pradesh Lok Ayukta registered an FIR in connection with a land scam in Indore under the Prevention of Corruption Act to probe allegations of criminal conspiracy and corruption against Digvijay Singh, and four others. On 12 February 2009, a case of cheating and corruption was filed against Digvijay Singh, a former state minister Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi and ten others by the Madhya Pradesh state Economic Offences Wing under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act for alleged irregularities in construction of the Treasure Island Mall in Indore. On 20 April 2011, the Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court directed the Economic Offences Wing of Madhya Pradesh state to file a chargesheet against Digvijay Singh and 11 others for these alleged irregularities.
I am going to quote some of his most infamous statements
- Yoga guru Ramdev is a 'fraud'. If Ramdev wants to do politics, he should give up yoga
- Anna Hazare would also be given the same treatment that had been meted out to Baba Ramdev
- Suresh Kalmadi is innocent and should get bail. We feel sorry for Suresh Kalmadi who is suffering hardships, and also for Ashok Chavan. In my personal opinion, both of them are innocent
- The RSS and the VHP are insidious in their effort to break India
- BJP has told Anna Hazare that he could be the all-party candidate for the 2012 President's election
- The background picture of 'Bharatmata' (put up on the dais where Anna Hazare went on fast) resemble with Bharatmata which RSS usually puts in their background. Then Mahatma Gandhi's photograph is also missing from the background
- Osama ji had been living in Pakistan for so many years, how is it possible that the Pakistani authorities could not locate him
- The anti-corruption stir by Anna Hazare and Ramdev were part of an over-all plan of RSS- BJP to divert attention from Sangh's "terror links" and warned spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravishankar that he too could be used by them
Digvijay Singh is a very senior leader and also a general secretary of the Congress party who also enjoys the confidence and trust of the Gandhi family. It is not a secret that not even a leaf turns in the party without the tacit approval of Sonia Gandhi. We all would like to know if he is a loose cannon and acting on his own or he has been planted by the party to make all these statements and make an assessment of the public mood in the country. What was the ulterior motive of saying that the RSS and BJP are trying to break India or addressing the most wanted terrorist in the world as Osama ji? Was he trying to hoodwink the minorities? If the public reaction is in sync with the statements of Diggy '“ as he is affectionately called by people close to him, the party can endorse his statements. If not, they can always wash their hands off him. Even if Diggy looks stupid and is ready to become a sacrificial lamb for the party, the party looks fine. It is hard to fathom that Diggy is a loose cannon. The Congress party is a very well oiled machine which is run by very shrewd operatives. They have two set of teeth '“ Khane ke aur, aur dikhane ke aur. The Congress party might not get hurt because of his utterances but Digvijay, as Anna Hazare said, definitely belongs in a mental asylum.
I want to end this article on a lighter note with a joke posted by Suraj Singh on an India related Facebook website:
Digvijay Singh's wife died and went to heaven. As she stood in front of Yamraj, she saw a huge wall of clocks.
She asked, "What are all those clocks?"
Yamraj answered, "Those are LieClocks. Everyone on Earth has a LieClock. Every time you lie, the hands on your clock will move."
Oh! said Diggy's wife, "Who's clock is that?"
That's Gautam Buddha's. The hands have never moved indicating that he never told a lie.
"And whose clock is that?"
That's Mahatma Gandhi's clock. The hands have only moved twice, telling us that Gandhiji only told 2 lies in his entire life.
She asked, "Where's my Diggy's clock?"
Diggy's clock is in my office, replied Yamraj, I am using it as a ceiling fan.